COMPANY PROFILE OF JO. FABUNMI & CO
J.O. FABUNMI & CO (BARRISTERS & SOLICITORS)
11TH FLOOR BOOKSHOP HOUSE
50/52 BROAD STREET,
J.O. FABUNMI & CO. is a law firm with wide theoretical and practical experience. Our law firm was established with a vision of becoming one of Nigeria’s foremost corporate and research law firms. Our primary objective is the provision of very high quality legal service to our clients. Our firm is a full service law firm with a variety of specialized skills and abilities. We strive to understand our clients’ businesses and markets in order to obtain the best results for them. As solicitors, we offer advice and assistance, which help our clients take critical business decisions, and as barristers, we represent their interest in Courts of Law and before Arbitral Tribunals.
The frontier of our practice extends beyond Nigerian boundary, and we provide assistance and advice to foreign investors and organizations interested in the Nigerian market. Our resources are consistently deployed to understanding each client’s business and industry in order to deliver responsive, effective and practical solutions through personalized service. At its core our culture is one of commitment to delivering quality work using collaborative efforts to bring value to our clients.
- OUR PRACTICE
The J.O.FABUNMI & CO. practice covers the full range of local and international corporate and commercial briefs. Our lawyers challenge themselves to stay abreast of legal developments and the ever-changing world of business. Our key practice areas include the following:
- COMPANY SECRETARIAL PRACTICE
We offer full company secretarial services to both private and public limited companies. Some of the specific company secretarial services we render include:
- Company incorporation
- Business registrations: sole traders, partnerships,
- Obtaining business permits and expatriate quotas,
- Regulatory compliance
- Company restructuring, re-organizations, and takeovers.
- Corporate Governance issues and regulatory requirements.
- Company Searches and filing of statutory returns and other documents at Corporate Affairs Commission, Security and Exchange Commission, and the Nigerian Stock Exchange, Nigerian Communication National Broadcasting Commission etc.
- Advising on general corporate and commercial procedures
- Acting as minute secretary for Board and General meetings
- CONSTRUCTION LAW
We have lawyers with experience and interest in the area of construction law, who handle matters such as –
- Drafting and negotiating sophisticated, as well as simple project agreements involving the latest methods of design, finance or construction.
- Contract formation and negotiations and public contracts
- Legal advice on regulatory and administrative matters
- Providing dispute avoidance and project oversight assistance
- Handling construction litigation, claims and disputes
- CORPORATE FINANCE
We have a specialized team of lawyers with requisite expertise in the Nigerian finance, insurance, money and capital markets. We offer our services to banks, trust funds, pension funds, mutual funds, venture capitalists, investment companies, and finance companies. The following are the main services:
- We provide domestic and international clients with consulting services on Nigerian securities laws, finance regulatory bodies and financial markets.
- Advice clients on negotiation involving multilateral grants syndicated loans from private banks, venture capitalists and project financing.
- We offer services on financial transactions.
- Takeovers, mergers and acquisitions, dissolution, liquidation, cessation, extension and purchase and sale of companies.
- Foreign exchange issues, Letters of credit, foreign investment guarantee, insurance claims, and trusts.
- DEBT RECOVERY
Our teams of solicitors offer a comprehensive, swift and cost-effective service for all our clients. We have a dedicated team that focus extensively on debt recovery, and as such we offer contact for advice and assistance on all aspects of recovery and enforcement on a continuous or one- off basis. Our lawyers are experienced in the recovery of commercial debts of all sizes and therefore help reduce bad debt recovery and improve cash flow of individuals, businesses or corporations.
Our debt recovery services include:
- DEBT COLLECTION
We know that Debt due to overdue payments for goods and services correctly supplied can be crippling for any business, regardless of sector or size. While customers have the right to receive goods or services within agreed deadlines, it is your right to be paid on time. We therefore deliver swift and efficient debt recovery results on our clients’ behalf, giving their business a competitive edge.
- SERVICE CHARGE COLLECTIONS
We offer a complete service charge and ground rent collection service, providing support and advice with access to partners should any legal issues arise. We are experienced in helping our clients pursue disputes through the court process, and you can be assured of our continued support and service at any level
- We provide a fast and efficient service offering:
- Nationwide debt collections
- Recovery of all legal costs, interest and disbursements from debtor tenants/leaseholders
- Full legal support in every aspect of landlord and tenant as well as leasehold issues.
· RENT RECOVERY
We carry out prompt recovery of rent arrears and help with evicting of tenants. We also act on behalf of letting and management agents as well as private landlords
· COURT ADVOCACY SERVICE
We have a team of legal professionals with excellent knowledge of the credit industry and who are experienced in various aspects of advocacy, specialising in debt recovery.
· CIVIL RECOVERY
Our experienced team offers a diligent and efficient service to all our clients with respect to civil recovery proceedings. Our team will consider all action necessary to obtain maximum results, on your behalf, whilst always consulting with the client involved at every stage.
· COMMERCIAL PROPERTY RECOVERY
Our team is also available to help should a client decide that they want their property back, and this is done quickly and efficiently. Whilst most possession actions arise as a result of a tenant failing to pay rent, rent arrears are just one of many reasons why possession actions are started and there are many different ways of terminating residential and commercial tenancies. However whatever the reason for seeking possession we have the knowledge and expertise to act on our clients’ behalf and obtain an order for possession to get their property back.
- DISPUTE RESOLUTION
Whether through trial, negotiated settlement, arbitration or mediation our firm has rich experience to offer clients practical and effective legal strategies in today’s increasingly difficult business terrain. Our lawyers regularly appear before trial and appellate courts in Nigeria and administrative tribunals. Our main practice areas are the following:
- Domestic and international commercial arbitration, mediation and negotiations.
- Civil disputes, debt recovery on behalf of private persons, banks, and financial institutions, corporate insolvency procedures, including liquidation, re-organization and consolidation of debts and contractual claims.
- Disputes arising from the following agreements: agency, carriage of goods, distribution, franchise, and licensing technology transfer.
- Intellectual Property Rights protection, including passing-off actions, trademark infringement, copyrights and patents.
- Labour and industrial relations including master-servant disputes, pension contribution issues, safety and environmental protection at work places etc.
- Tortious liability, including personal property injuries and product liability cases.
- EMPLOYMENT/ LABOUR LAW
We offer services in employment law areas, including preparation of employment contract, medical insurance, workplace safety, workman compensation, Employment handbook, Pension, Employment benefits and welfare, and all employment related disputes.
- INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAW
We offer comprehensive protection mechanism of the intellectual property right to our clients under the current regulatory and legal regimes. The main services we offer are as follows:
- Trademark, copyright and patents protection.
- Investigation of the ownership of the intellectual property rights.
- Drafting, reviewing, all legal documents relating to Intellectual Property Rights and including the transfer and licensing of trademark, copyright, patent and know-how.
- Participating in the negotiation of technology development, service and project transfer, and providing consulting and other legal services in the process.
- Acting as agents in international trademark and patent registration and providing services in the protection of software and trade secrets.
- INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS LAW
We have offered our services to domestic and foreign clients in international trade and direct investment in Nigeria. The focus in this area is as follows:
- Advising foreign investors on business in Nigeria.
- Drafting, reviewing of various contracts, agreements, bye-laws and other business documents and legal documents.
- Carrying out legal due diligence on businesses for clients.
- Liaising on behalf of investors with relevant government bodies on regulatory procedures and permits.
- Participating in the design and negotiation of various projects, monitoring the progress of the project, and offering a whole package of consulting services relating to project development and finance.
- Planning, negotiation and establishing direct foreign investment transactions in Nigeria.
- Providing advisory services on acquisitions, divestitures, licensing, agency, strategic alliances, equity and debt financings,
- Negotiating and drafting complex infrastructure and project-related financings, privatization transactions, public private partnerships, commercial contracts, joint ventures.
- Setting up subsidiary companies and branch offices for foreign company and individual investors.
- Providing consulting services and/or representation to clients in international businesses and legal transactions.
- PROPERTY MANAGEMENT AND REAL ESTATE DEVELOPMENT
We have a well-experienced real estate practice. Our lawyers are committed to providing comprehensive and high quality services to real estate developers, banks, mortgage banks and individual homeowners in the following real estate related transactions:
- Assisting in obtaining statutory documents, letter of allocation, certificate of occupancy and mortgage thereof.
- Providing legal services in designing, engineering and construction contract, invitation for bidding.
- Providing services in real estate development, marketing, selling, rental, mortgage, auction, transfer, cooperation, demolition, inheritance, gift and evaluation of contributions in-kind.
- Providing services in disputes involving real estate, compensation, demolition.
- Assisting in the project establishment, negotiation and formation of a real estate company;
- Drafting, reviewing and revising leases, Build Operate and transfer agreements and other legal documents relating to real estate transaction.
- TAX ADVISORY SERVICES
We offer tax advisory services to both the private and public sectors. We advise our clients on their Tax obligation and rights. Our Tax Advisory and compliance areas include:
- Corporate Tax
- Customs and Excise
- Personal Income Tax
- Petroleum Profit Tax
- Value Added Tax
- Tax Planning and Structuring
We advise foreign clients on a variety of Tax issues in different sectors of the economy ranging from banking to aviation and oil and gas.
- TELECOMMUNICATIONS & INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Our telecommunications practice offers a fully integrated corporate, regulatory and commercial service which includes:
- Provision of contractual framework for telecommunication agreements- e.g. Satellite service agreements and Gateway purchase contracts etc.
- Advising and Negotiating software licenses and maintenance agreements with the aim of protecting clients’ investments in information technology systems
- TRUSTS AND ADMINISTRATION OF ESTATES
We have a team of lawyers who are well grounded in the following areas:
- Obtaining of letters of Administration
- Drafting of Wills.
- Advising on Creation of Trust funds, the legal prerequisites and the benefits derivable therefrom. Also by aiding individuals in choosing the best trust corporation for the handling of their assets.
- OUR SOLICITORS
Our greatest asset is our people and they were educated at some of the nation’s finest law schools. Our lawyers have also experience in lecturing and conducting legal research in renowned national and international universities. Our Law Firm has combined this with private practice in understanding trends and offering practical, effective and timely solutions to our clientele. We have a proactive team that is able to anticipate our clients’ needs and our processes and service delivery are consistently of the highest quality. Our solicitors are listed below: